Kolbuszowa קולבושובה

Name in English: 
Kolbushova
Name in Ukrainian: 
Кольбушова (Kolbushova)
Name in Polish: 
Kolbuszowa
Name in Hebrew: 
קולבושובה
Name in Yiddish: 
קאלבושאוו (Kolbushov)
Historical-cultural region: 
Western Galicia
Administrative District : 
Podkarpackie Voivodeship
Coordinates: 
50°15' N, 21°46' E
Population Data: 

  Year  

  General Population  

  Jews  

1765

(?)

542

1804

3262

1987

1880

3111

1935

1890

3072

1953

1900

2894

1685

1910

3460

1947

1921

2900

1415

1939

(?)

1756

 

Kolbuszowa (Kolbushov) is located c. 27km north of Reisha (Rzeszów) and c. 50km south of Tzoizmir (Sandomierz), along the road that leads north toward Warsaw. This region abounds in thick forests, which provide income for locals, who worked in the manufacture of furniture and decorative woodwork. The local residents were especially renowned as expert makers of violins.
Archaeological findings attest to ancient settlement in the region by Slavic farmers and herdsmen. Kolbuszowa is first mentioned as a village only in 1513, and there is a 1581 document listing the number of taxpayers and their occupations; it had c. 600 residents at the time. At first, the city belonged to the estates of the Tarnowski family of nobles, but it changed hands during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. In the early seventeenth century, Stanisław Lubomirski established his castle there, having won estates in the region due to victories over the Ottomans. The governor of Krakow likewise built a castle there. The small settlement was ready to attain the status of a city, but an outbreak of bubonic plague in 1652, followed by the Swedish invasion of 1655, during which they plundered and burned Kolbuszowa as well, postponed the establishment of the city. A document issued by the city’s owner in 1683 attests to a fair held in Kolbuszowa, and it was finally recognized as a city by King Jan III Sobieski in 1690, in recognition of the assistance of the nobleman Józef Karol Lubomirski in battle against the Ottomans. In addition, he encouraged all citizens, from all religions and classes, to engage in commerce in Kolbuszowa.